Saturday, February 11, 2012

Is the ammonia in my api test kit pure ammonia-cycling help?

Can I add that to my tank to help cycle it? If not, where can I buy pure ammonia, and how much do I add? Also, I just bought a java fern, will the ammonia kill it?

Is the ammonia in my api test kit pure ammonia-cycling help?
Here's a link to an article by the guy that "invented" that method of fishless cycling:



http://www.tropicalfishcentre.co.uk/Fish...



As he mentions, you have to be careful using pure ammonia, it's easy to over do it. That's what I did years ago, and it took forever for the tank to cycle. You might want to consider using the shrimp method, just put a few pieces of cocktail shrimp in a mesh filter media bag, or pair of nylons/pantyhose, knot it closed, and toss it in the tank to rot. It'll put out ammonia when it decays. All you have to do is top off the water as it evaporates.



I've always read a bit on forums that's it's harder to find pure ammonia now a days. Used to be easy to find at places like the Dollar Store or Dollar General, but I guess they ones they carry now have detergents in it.
Reply:API test kits have no ammonia in them,just a test for checking ammonia in water.



Pure ammonia can be hard to find,but not impossible.Call a few hardware stores,any more they are the only ones who carry it(thanks to the terrorists)



In my experience with fishless cycling,using raw shrimp is the easiest.You just put it in and check the ammonia and nitrite levels a few times a week to see where they are at.



If you use ammonia you will have too add it every day to keep the cycle going,versus just adding shrimp and letting it do it all itself.



Either way is fine,but I think the shrimp is less work(plus you don't have to remember to add the ammonia everyday)


No comments:

Post a Comment