Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Need help identifying a large woodland fern...I live in NC...?

I live in NW North Carolina. I go hiking in the woods a lot and I am an avid gardener. I am also familiar with most of the ferns and native plants in my area. However, I recently found a group of three ferns that I have never seen before and with a moderate amount of research, I have yet to identify them. They have huge stems about 1/2" thick, and the fronds grow over 6 feet tall. The fronds are in groups of about 6 and they form a vase shape. They're growing in almost full sun in a very rich damp soil near a small stream. I was told by a local greenhouse owner that these were a type of cinnamon fern, but I have looked at pics of all the types of cinnamon fern and none match up. I would love to have some for my shade garden but I can't figure out what these are. I also do not want to disturb the ones that I found, so that is not an option. Thanks for your help.

Need help identifying a large woodland fern...I live in NC...?
You are correct. It is a cinnamon fern. These are native to the eastern half of the U.S. They grow in moist locations in dense woodlands. Cinnamon ferns grow to 5' or taller. Here is a link with good info about this plant. Hopefully, you haven't already looked at it in your research.. good luck!

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symb...

http://plants.usda.gov/java/charProfile?...



...Billy Ray

augmon

No comments:

Post a Comment