Monday, January 30, 2012

I have a kangaroo paw fern and it has black spots and leaves are dropping like crazy. is it fungus. help!?

By far the most common and damaging problem involved in the cultivation of Kangaroo Paws is the dreaded Ink Spot Disease or Ink Disease as it is often referred to. It is thought to be the fungus Alternaria alternata. Ink Disease causes the blackening of the leaves and flower stems starting close to the leaf tip and progressing down to the rhizome. For some plants such as A. flavidus the disease appears to cause only cosmetic problems. It can be fatal to species such as A. manglesii and A. pulcherrimus.

I have a kangaroo paw fern and it has black spots and leaves are dropping like crazy. is it fungus. help!?
I am having a real problem with black sooty mould. I just cut a large "fire cracker vine" down off of the side of my house because it was covered with soot, scale and ants. Before I replant the area is there something I should do to treat the soil and trellis. I think the vine may come back and would like to avoid the problem in the future. It is also spreading to near by penstemon and kangaroo paws. Help! Chris



A. Fungus moulds are a common problem at this time of year. Try spraying with a fungicide containing copper, Bordeaux mixture is also suitable and it would do no harm to spray the trellis with the same. First wash off the trellis with detergent.

Textiles

No comments:

Post a Comment