Monday, January 30, 2012

That green mossy stuff from my java fern...?

I have a java fern, and it keeps making that green flossy filament to hold the daughter plants in place. Will my fish get tangled in it, or choke on it if it tries to eat it? Because one of my small fish just ate some and there's like a long stringy green filament coming out of its mouth!!! Is it going to choke?

That green mossy stuff from my java fern...?
Your Java fern is infected with green hair algae. Take it out if your can and kept in a bucket of water in the dark for a couple of days until the algae dies off.



If you can't remove the Java fern, reduce your light exposure period of the tank, change water to reduce ammonia and nitrate and add Seachem Excel. Hopefully you don't get a serious hair algae outbreak before you can act.



If the fish can eat it, it should be fine. Else it would also disintegrate after some time.
Reply:How long has this been hanging out of his mouth? What type of fish is this and what size? I keep Java fern as well and have never had this happen with one of my fish. I would like to say "no he is not choking" but I can't say for sure in all honesty. Would like a little more info though. You can add additional details to your question and answer mine, or email me through my profile and I will try to help further.


No comments:

Post a Comment