Friday, February 3, 2012

Can I transplant/share my ferns now (they have just unfurled) with my neighbor or should I wait until fall?

My ferns which grow in the shady part of my yard have greatly multiplied and are beautiful this year. I would love to share some with my neighbor, but need to know if I can do this now or need to wait until fall.

Can I transplant/share my ferns now (they have just unfurled) with my neighbor or should I wait until fall?
Most ferns are easy. Make sure you get as much of the root system as you can and keep as much soil intact too. if they are in shade be sure to replant in shade, and water daily until you notice they have taken, you will notice new growth coming up.
Reply:Ferns will generally be active all year if conditions suit them. IE if it's damp rich soil with adequate shade. Remember to cut back foliage to a level that is close to being in balance with the roots that are sure to be damaged by being dug up.



Boston ferns, which I suspect you're talkinhg about, will often live even when conditions aren't right. But leave dead stalks above the ground until winter or Autumn rains come, so don't be in a hurry to give up on them.


No comments:

Post a Comment