Saturday, January 21, 2012

I have a Bird Nest Fern That's dying,what's wrong??

I have a small bird Nest Fern, I have had it for 3 months or so. I have it in a pot that has drainage. I thought they needed to be moist.The leaves are slowly truning brittle,and brown. What do I do? What is the secret to raising ferns????

I have a Bird Nest Fern That's dying,what's wrong??
Moist is one thing, wet is another. Sounds like it is overwatered, and too wet. I would remove the plant from the pot and check the soil at the roots for moisture. Could also be too dry at the root area from being too dry then watering insufficiently. And the water didn't soak into the center of the plant thoroughly. If it is too wet, you need to repot it in new soil, I only use MiracleGro with the moisture beads now, it has no weed seeds and is good stuff. My plants are loving it.

If you use a water catching plate under the pot, after you have repotted the plant then after this, only put water there and let the plant soak up the water it needs. Check in 2 hours and if the water is gone add about 1 cup more and forget the plant for about a week. Check on it and do the same thing again. You should see a difference in your plant. Letting plants dry out is better then overwatering them. Overwatering causes mold to form around the roots and kills the plant fairly fast. So if overwatering has caused the fuzzies to grow around the roots (you will notice this when you uproot the plant) then wash the roots off in a bucket of clean water, or under the hose. Then just replant it in barely moist soil. Let it be for about 3 days, then water it in the water bowl under the plant, let it soak up, add a bit more and let it be for a few more days.


No comments:

Post a Comment