Thursday, January 12, 2012

How to take care of a fern does?

i have just bought one and i need to know does a fern need light or can i keep it in the house and need to know about watering and other things to please thank you

How to take care of a fern does?
All ferns like defused light. putting it under a patio is an excellent place for one. But if you don't have that option,next to a window is fine. They like a lot of humidity,so setting it on a bowl of river rock with water in it is an ideal way to raise the humidity. Keep it moist,but not soggy. They don't like wet feet.Fertilise it regularly in the growing season with an organic based fertiliser such as bone meal or fish emulsion. Add peat moss to the ferns base and keep them free from dead leaves during the growing season. In winter, I would leave the dead leaves on it to protect it from the cold.We have three on the Patio,and have to water them frequently being in California. They are so big, kids could make a fort under the long fronds and no one would be able to see them. Maybe it's time to split them, but the last time we did, (I sent them out for that)when they came back,Oh MY GOD! Never again! Bye
Reply:I have a few ferns and I try not to fuss too much with them, if I do they don't do as well, If it is really hot, I water them more. In the summer they hang on the porch and in the winter in the window inside. but I do mist the fronds every other day with a spray bottle and water at least twice a week when outside and once when in the house. If you get brown, just snap them off. and you can use Epsom salt water if it starts to dye to help it. I never fertilize or anything. Guess I just have a green thumb. Good Luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment